Angel Jake at the RBC (Rainbow Broadcasting Corporation)

Angel Jake at the RBC (Rainbow Broadcasting Corporation)

Monday, May 11, 2009

Heron-Cam Manhattan Report: Day One

Well, who would have thunk it: the airplane the folks were on actually took off on time this morning and landed 20 MINUTES EARLY. Apparently this rarely happens anymore because the pilot kept boasting about the early arrival time -- but it left me all out of breath trying to flap my own wings faster and faster to keep up. Whew, I'm still exhausted. And it's a bit chilly and breezy, so my feathers are all disheveled.

Last night my clients, Mr. Jake and Mr. Just Harry, shared some special moments with their Dad.



And now they're settled in at camp and, when last seen, were almost happy to be back there where people actually play with them instead of sitting all day at the computer working (not to make anyone feel guilty or anything...)

Anyway the folks and I arrive in New York and what's the first thing we see on leaving the airport?
A New York City yellow cab -- with a Miami advertisement on the roof. How confusing is that? "Where am I?" I asked myself. Things got even more confusing when we (or rather, they) got into the cab and it began talking. It's not that they're hicks or anything, but they haven't seen many taxis in South Florida that actually talk to you -- with ads, and maps, and weather reports, and a minute-by-minute update on your route -- like in some planes.Then things got a bit complicated. I am a bird. I fly pretty straight and sometimes pretty low. But if there's one thing I ain't gonna' do for anyone no way, no how -- it's travel through a tunnel with speeding cars, and trucks, and fumes... You've heard of how they use canaries in mines, haven't you?So I just decided to wing it (LOL, collies!!!) and meet the folks on the other side. And if I must say so myself, I did a pretty good job. I found myself right downtown where the folks were staying.

But then I left them until dinner time (a bird's gotta' do what a bird's gotta' do). They had found a little Thai restaurant just near their hotel -- and even visible from their hotel window.

They had a wonderful soup (with yummy shrimp in it!!!) and Satay -- chicken on skewers with a delicious peanut sauce (like a peanut butter treat for grownups) -- and Masaman curry and rice. And they topped it off with coconut ice cream.


After that meal, there was nothing more to say, so I left them to try my luck at night fishing.

HC-Bird

10 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Tank woo fur winging the report our way!

I would expekht Jake and Just Harry are snagging a fellow khamper's internet so they keep tabs on the pawrents!

Hugz&Khysses.
Khyra

Gus said...

Great report Heron Cam....when do we visit with Asta and Mommi


gussie

Moco said...

Boy, is that Heron cam good. Do you think your folks know they are being followed?

Anonymous said...

Excellent reporting, Mr. Heron-Cam! We hope you get some rest tonight and we'll look forward to another report soon.

See ya!
Joey and Zeke

Asta said...

Welcome!!!!
You did a wondewful job of wepowting! I'm so glad you awived safely and also wewe able to set my mind at west about my pals J&JH..
I was wowwied about them..Thanks pal.
Guess what, we had coconut ice cweam today too, hehehe, but no cuwwy sadly.
I hope you have good luck fishing. I'll show you some gweat spots when you come on thuwsday
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Martha said...

What an adventure! We have never heard of those kind of flights either - you know that leave on time and arrive early!
Are you sure it wasn't some sort of time travel?
We would love to see a yellow New York tazi for real but could understand your confusion if they have Miami on the roof!!
We were sooo glad you decided not to enter the tunnel with the fumes they are not good places for Heroncams and the lighting is poor.
The bit of the meal we enjoyed the most was the coconut ice cream!
Have a great time and keep us up to day. Vacations are the best!
love
Martha & Bailey xx

Lucia said...

Ciao miei amici!

Santa vacca, that Heron-Cam is really something! Eccellente job at capturing the sights of NYC, Signore Enorme Uccello! Isn't it just the coooolest citta??!??!!!

Tanti baci!
Lucia

Joe Stains said...

What a great meal yum! Thanks for all your updates from the road and the air.

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

HC...let us know what you manage to pull outta the Hudson that's edible...frankly we think there are tons of seafood restartants around...you'd be better off just orderin' somethin'.....

Those cabs are cool...with the little tv's in 'em??!!!

We can't wait for your peeps to meet up with Asta and her 'rents!!!

Barkies, HC...keep up the great reportin'!

Scruffy

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Wow Mr Heron....great tour of day 1 in the Big Apple! You had my Mum drooling over the Thai feast.....mmmm....but i'm off my food as missing my Jakey too much :o(
If you or any of your friends swing by his camp can you send him some Gabbilicious smooches?