Angel Jake at the RBC (Rainbow Broadcasting Corporation)

Angel Jake at the RBC (Rainbow Broadcasting Corporation)

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Post New Year's Eve/Barkday Musings

We've heard that what you do on New Year's Day is what you'll be doing the rest of the year. So, in an excess of caution, to avoid doing things we wouldn't want to repeat all year long, we decided to do one of the things we like best: take a long afternoon snooze. That was easy as we're still recovering from all the celebrations surrounding the holidays, our return from camp, a long New Year's Eve chat, and my sixth birthday.
Just to keep Mom happy, we also limited our barking (mostly because we're still hoarse from all the barking we did at camp) so that she can think maybe we'll control ourselves a bit better this year.
We do want to thank all our friends -- old and new -- for the many New Year and my barkday messages we received!! Mom tried to explain to a dogless friend what these friendships mean to all of us -- but the friend really didn't get it. Nevermind!! We understand.
My big dilemma now: what does it mean to be six? How should I behave? What kind of role model must I be for my goofy brother?
I've always been a pretty serious kind of guy, as I have what I've described previously as a philosophical nature (unlike the Goof). Now that I'm six, do I have to read more books -- or can I content myself with chewing paper and pencils? Now that I'm six, can I still bark my head off at anything I wish -- or must I constrain myself to only the most egregious violations of our space, i.e., neighbors who still insist on parking in their own driveways, dogs who insist on walking past our house, FEDEX, UPS, and trash trucks who insist on rumbling by and sometimes stop.
A puzzlement. I think I'll take another nap and ponder.
Jake the (older) dog
Pee ess: Our temps are dropping to 39 degrees tonight. This morning it was a chilly -- for us -- 50.

10 comments:

Gus said...

Happpy New years and Happy Barkday! I didn't know until we came back on line today that your barkday was yesterday...please forgive me.

I will be watching closely to see what you do at six, because I am five this year myself, and I value you as a role model.

kissies
gus

Headgirl said...

Oh gosh!
How ever did I manage to miss your Barkday Jake???
Feel awful guilty, as you belong to my special WFT's.
So, belated 'Barkday Wishes!'
Six... an interesting age!
What ever you decide to be/do will be wirey OK with me.

Pats & pets
Blue
x

Patience-please said...

From the world's best writer, A. A. Milne:
When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

Happy for ever and ever!

the whippet waggle

Molly the Airedale said...

Be yourself, Jake! That's the only answer there can be! You're perfect just the way you are! Happy belated birthday!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

If you get any more clues on how to behave, please can you fill me in? J x

Joe Stains said...

6 is a year of discovery and growth, or so I have heard. I am 8 and still act like a little goof sometimes. STAY WARM my friends!!!

The Black and Tans. said...

Happy New Year to you both and Happy belated birthday Jake.

Thanks for coming to visit our blog

Molly and Taffy xx

Lorenza said...

Hi, friends!
Jake, don't worry! Be yourself! Age is something humans worry about not us! Be as happy as you are!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Katie said...

Hmmm.. I am six too. I hope I don't have to get too serious. Girls just wanna have fun. Although, I do have to make sure that everyone around here watches it!! I am a pretty strict disciplinarian!! Maybe I am mature??

Stanley said...

Jake, buddy.

I understand this sould searching on your birthday. (Happy Birthday, buddy, by the way!)

But, you are your own dog. I say just be yourself and really explore anything new you want to explore. Age isn't that important. How you feel is.

I'm so glad you were born, man!

Goober love & birthday smooches,
Stanley